[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

Haavard Skinnemoen haavard.skinnemoen at atmel.com
Fri Jul 25 11:10:41 CEST 2008

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 06:28:16 +0200
Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

> In message <20080724185734.6d79c419 at hskinnemo-gx745.norway.atmel.com> you wrote:
> >
> > Plus it's only defined for PowerPC. What do we do on the 11 other
> > architectures?
>
> Fix them in the first place to do reloction at all?

Er. How? The only thing this thread has come up with is a powerpc-only
-mrelocatable option which apparently gives the magic word to the
linker to have it emit dynamic relocations. We need similar options
for 11 other architectures before we can even think about starting to
utilize this in a generic manner.

> > We could build u-boot as a shared library I guess, but that feels a bit
> > weird...
>
> Shared? Shared by what?

An ELF shared library has the dynamic relocations we need. So if we
build u-boot as an .so file, it should work in theory on most
architectures.

Haavard