[U-Boot-Users] Changing u-boot relocation scheme

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Jul 26 07:43:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:45 AM, vb <vb at vsbe.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang, thank you for your reply, let me try to explain myself a bit clearer:
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>> In message <f608b67d0807231039i434e96dbvda86590776db2cb0 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> If you invest time in solving such problems, than your time willbe
>> much better iinvested if you try to help solving the remaining issues
>> with  Grant's code.
>>
>> What Grant suggests is the way to go. I do not think your approach has
>> chances for mainline.
>>

> I am sorry to hear this, especially since what I suggest would be
> completely compiler agnostic and would allow to avoid some of the
> limitations one must follow today while adding stuff to u-boot.

The problem is that the u-boot C runtime setup is insane and must be
fixed.  Fix the C runtime and the problem goes away.  The approach
being suggested here would have us *preserve* the insane C runtime and
actually depend on the runtime to remain insane in order to work.

Not a good approach.

The C runtime problem is solvable, but I didn't have the time or
resources to properly dig into it and I got frustrated before it was
fully debugged.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.