[U-Boot-Users] using a flat device tree to drive u-boot config

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 19:28:59 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> One topic that come up during OLS in discussions and u-boot BOF was
> the idea of driving u-boot configuration from a device tree instead of
> from "config.h".  I was wondering if anyone has actually looked at
> doing this.

This sounds like an interesting idea, having a central repo for all
hardware information.  A big problem I see is that while device-tree
syntax may make sense to Linux kernel propellerheads, to the average
Joe it's mind-numbing.  Config files are ugly, but at least IMHO are
easy to figure out.  User-friendly editing tools would be a necessity.
 Maybe something already exists?

> One question I have is how does (or should) u-boot identify where to
> find the device tree.  I think the idea would be that this "area"
> could be easily reflashed with a new blob to get a new configuration.

This should be fun considering the plethora of architectures that
U-boot supports.

cheers,
Ben