[U-Boot-Users] using a flat device tree to drive u-boot config

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Jul 28 19:40:43 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:07:49AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> One topic that come up during OLS in discussions and u-boot BOF was
> the idea of driving u-boot configuration from a device tree instead of
> from "config.h".  I was wondering if anyone has actually looked at
> doing this.
>
> One question I have is how does (or should) u-boot identify where to
> find the device tree.  I think the idea would be that this "area"
> could be easily reflashed with a new blob to get a new configuration.

In principle I like the idea of having configuration retrieved from the
device tree blob, but the idea of reflashing the blob in the context of
u-boot scares me.  In particular, if u-boot depends too much on the
presence of the blob, then it becomes a method of bricking a board if
users are able/expected to reflash the blob.

g.