[U-Boot-Users] using a flat device tree to drive u-boot config

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Mon Jul 28 20:13:33 CEST 2008

Kumar Gala wrote:
> One topic that come up during OLS in discussions and u-boot BOF was
> the idea of driving u-boot configuration from a device tree instead of
> from "config.h".  I was wondering if anyone has actually looked at
> doing this.

Last year I brought up the topic twice:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=46F384E6.5030603%40grandegger.com

> One question I have is how does (or should) u-boot identify where to
> find the device tree.  I think the idea would be that this "area"
> could be easily reflashed with a new blob to get a new configuration.

Yep, it's even feasible to flash more than one blob and select one
somehow in the early boot phase.

Our main interest in using FDT for U-Boot is to make it dynamically
configurable having just one image for various variants of the
hardware. Replacing config.h completely seems overkill to me (and will
not even be possible).

Wolfgang.