[U-Boot-Users] moving bss outside of the image?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 29 23:25:08 CEST 2008

In message <2A2FDF2A-7B9D-496C-960C-A7A0BDCE412C at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
> Is there any concern with moving .bss outside of the image?  On 85xx
> the images have historically been a fixed size (512k) and the .bss has
> always lived inside of that region. We are now getting to a point
> that .text + .data + .bss exceeds 512k.  Its easy enough to move .bss
> right pass the 512k boundary and wanted to see if anyone can think of
> a reason not to do this.

You have to make sure  that  the  memory  map  is  still  OK  in  the
relocated  system,  taking into account for config options like pRAM,
shared log buffer, frame buffer, ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The project was large enough and management communication poor enough
to prompt many members of the team to see themselves  as  contestants
making  brownie  points,  rather  than as builders making programming
products. Each suboptimized  his  piece  to  meet  his  targets;  few
stopped to think about the total effect on the customer.
                              - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"