[U-Boot-Users] error while running hello_world standalone program

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Jul 30 16:20:36 CEST 2008

Hi Light King (is this a calory reduced monarch?) ;)

> I m newly using U-Boot in a customised platform of processor Intel xscale
> PXA255.
>
> U-Boot 1.1.6 (Jul 28 2008 - 10:01:53) is running in this board .  In this board
> one external 64 mb RAM is there and one 64 mb flash is there .
>
> RAM address is starting from 0xA0000000 . Flash address is starting from
> 0x00000000 .
>
> I m compiling the U-Boot source with arm-linux-gcc toolchain 3.4.1   .
>
> then I m transfering the hello_world.bin image to the board through serial .
> If I downloading this image to any RAM address and executing from there by go
> command then board is rebooting . If I m trying to download to 0x40000 adress (
> given by the U-Boot document )  and trying to execute from that adddress then
> it is giving some garbage output .  plz help me about this

The standalone application needs to be linked to a static address.  If
you look into the Makefile in examples, you'll see that for your board
"LOAD_ADDR = 0xc100000", i.e. that's where the binary _can_ run.  If
this is not RAM on your system, adjust the makefile, rebuild the app,
load it at that address and then run from there.
retry.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Peace of mind isn't at all superficial to technical work.  It's the
whole thing.   That which  produces it is good work  and that which