[U-Boot-Users] Comments to the patch

Haavard Skinnemoen haavard.skinnemoen at atmel.com
Wed Jul 30 19:10:01 CEST 2008

Rafael Campos <rafael.campos at hanscan.com> wrote:
> El mié, 30-07-2008 a las 14:25 +0200, Stefan Roese escribió:
> > BTW: Did you test this patch with other FLASH chips too (Intel,
> > Spansion ...)?
> > Or only the Atmel one?
>
> Only with the ATMEL one (AT49BV6416), which is the only one that i have
> access to. But i checked several other ATMEL flash datasheets and said
> that they start in read-only mode.

Of course they start in read-only mode -- it's flash after all ;-)

But I don't think all Atmel flash needs this treatment. AT49BV6416 is
kinda special -- the replacement, AT49BV642D does not need this.

The ones using Intel command set usually do need to be unlocked, but
this is standard behaviour for Intel-compatible flash I think.

Btw, also note that since the CFI driver only reads the low 8 bits of
the device ID, there's currently no way to tell AT49BV6416 and
AT49BV642D apart. Or at least it wasn't last time I checked. So I think
this needs fixing first.

Oh, and you also need to reverse the erase regions reported by this
chip.

Haavard