[U-Boot-Users] AT91SAM9261-EK USB storage not working...

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Thu Jul 31 15:24:43 CEST 2008

Hello Stelian and others,

I have made some progress here, and I would like to inform you all:

>> But I have a question here:
>> Does USB-storage devices work in U-boot at your place? (e.g. 1GB USB
>> memory stick) I use U-boot 1.3.4-rc1
> You're correct, USB support on the AT91SAM9 boards has some unknown
> issues. I can reproduce the behaviour you're seing easily here.
> Nicolas Ferre (added in CC:) confirmed the problem too (with both the
> current U-Boot version and the atmel specific 1.1.5-atmel_1.5 version).
> But he is very certain that it did work at some time in the past, with
> some USB storage devices.

I have done a lot of debugging/testing etc. and I noticed that binary
deliverables of U-boot for the evaluationkit work properly with
USB-storage devices on the AT91SAM9261-EK kit.
They were all based on U-boot 1.1.3, 1.1.4, 1.1.5 Atmel versions.

But, I was not able to get a working version when I build such a code
tree myself. I use gcc version 4.2.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2008q1-126)
An hour ago I got the stupid idea to get an older compiler: gcc
version 3.4.2 (release) (CodeSourcery ARM Q3D 2004)

And this one delivers a working usb-ohci in u-boot.bin :-))

Even u-boot-1.3.4-rc1 now works with USB-storage devices on these
at91sam9261 cores.
I also tried GCC 4.1.0, but that one delivered also a broken binary
Compiling without optimisation (-Os) resulted in a binary that did not
boot at all... (not debugged yet why)

So, with GCC 4.2.3 everything in U-boot seems to work, except the
USB-OHCI driver...
For the USB-OHCI driver we apparantly need a GCC 3.xx compiler.

Now, we need to debug why GCC 4.x is a problem...

Kind Regards,

Remy