[U-Boot-Users] U-boot and ethernet on a Lubbock board

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Mon Jun 2 23:59:39 CEST 2008

Victor (pfc) wrote:

> I've been working last months on a lubbock board
> and u-boot as a bootloader to run Linux. I always
> loaded my kernel via serial port, because I never
> got u-boot to activate my ethernet (I never got the
> link led on, only after booting Linux).

> I recently read the FAQ again and found about using
> valid MAC addresses:

> * Should I recompile my u-boot with the new
>   local-admin MAC address or just I need to
>   write the new config on the board?

To change the MAC addresses, only the environment
needs to change as follows ...

u-boot> setenv ethaddr <valid MAC address>	(eth0)
u-boot> setenv eth1addr <valid MAC address1>	(eth1)
u-boot> setenv eth2addr <valid MAC address2>	(eth2)
u-boot> saveenv

Omit references to eth1 or eth2, if they don't exist
on your specific board.

There is no need to recompile U-Boot.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs