[U-Boot-Users] AMCC Bamboo boot from NAND Flash is broken

Eugene O'Brien Eugene.O'Brien at advantechamt.com
Wed Jun 4 18:29:10 CEST 2008

Hi Stefan,

Yesterday I decided to update u-boot from the u-boot-ppc4xx repo. I boot my board similarly to the Bamboo NAND flash boot. So after I re-flashed U-Boot ... nothing ... I bricked my board ... thanks!

The good news is that the fix is relatively simple. I took a look at the code and I see that the SDRAM is no longer initialised anywhere. I renamed function early_sdram_init() to initdram() and returned the fixed SDRAM size. I made this trivial change from looking at the code in nand_spl/board/amcc/canyonlands/ddr2_fixed.c. After that my board booted correctly. The corresponding change to Bamboo must be done in nand_spl/board/amcc/bamboo/sdram.c.

If you're looking for a patch from me, it might take some time so I suggest you make this change yourself. The commit change that breaks the Bamboo code is "ppc4xx/NAND_SPL: Consolidate 405 and 440 NAND booting code in start.S"

Regards,
Eugene