[U-Boot-Users] Passing MACs to Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 5 17:02:11 CEST 2008

In message <E6746F4E58F84F74A00907F0ECE81BE8 at absolutdaddy> you wrote:

> I am sure this has been brought up a number of times, so forgive me in
> advance.

No. We do not forgive ignorance nor intentional ignoring established
netiquette which for example requires you to actually search the
archives and to read the FAQ before posting.

> I did notice however, not sure which version, but between 1.3.1 and 1.3.3
> U-boot

Well, please find out which specific version (git commit ID) caused
any changes...

> That my MAC for my Ethernet device was no longer being passed into linux, or
> perhaps over written by the blob.

I see. And now you expect us to guess which processor architecture
this is, and what board, and you don't even give us a version?

You expect too much.

> What is the current operation / priority of how MACs are passed into Linux
> 2.6.24+ vs the U-boot 1.3.3+ environment string?

It dpeneds on a lot of things, including processor architecture in
U-Boot, processor architecture in Linux, etc.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Love your country but never trust its government."
- from a hand-painted road sign in central Pennsylvania