[U-Boot-Users] Passing MACs to Linux

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Thu Jun 5 17:31:27 CEST 2008

Russell McGuire wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am sure this has been brought up a number of times, so forgive me in
> advance.
>
> I did notice however, not sure which version, but between 1.3.1 and
> 1.3.3 U-boot That my MAC for my Ethernet device was no longer being
> passed into linux, or perhaps over written by the blob.
>
> So for a quick status check.
>
> What is the current operation / priority of how MACs are passed into
> Linux 2.6.24+ vs the U-boot 1.3.3+ environment string?

Check what your .dts source looks like vs. an example .dts of the same
processor (and, preferably a similar/same board) from the linux source
tree.  As you noticed, things have been improving in the 2.6.2x and
1.3.x timeframes, but .dts improvements are necessary to support the
code improvements.

I would especially look at your .dts and see if it has a /aliases node
with properties that point to your CPU, serial, ethernet, (and other?)
properties.  The newer fixup functions look up the generic name in
/aliases and use that to find the "real" property to fix up rather than
having lots of hardcoded board/cpu specific #defines compiled into
u-boot to fix up the "real" property directly.

indirection." - Butler Lampson

HTH,
gvb