[U-Boot-Users] How to debug u-boot?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Jun 9 11:53:15 CEST 2008

Hi Brian,

> Hi every one.
> I need help with debugging u-boot. If I comple u-Boot without -Os
> optimization, I get bunch of errors about missing functions. They are
> inline functions (in_be32, out_be32, out_8, etc) and I'm not sure how
> to make sure they are included when building the code without optimization.
>
> I'm using ELDK4.1 for windows and u-Boot-1.3.3
>
> Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

You have seen by now, that you cannot disable all optimization to
successfully build U-Boot (Linux is the same btw.).  I still do wonder,
why you want to disable optimization for debugging.  Is it because GCC
reorders some statements, so gdb seems to jump around in the source
lines?

If so, you can suppress the reordering as documented in our DULG[1]:

Add "-fno-schedule-insns -fno-schedule-insns2" to the CFLAGS for U-Boot.

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/DebuggingTricks

--
 Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it,
 poorly.