[U-Boot-Users] Does u-boot handle packet fragmentation during TFTP?

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Wed Jun 11 19:33:41 CEST 2008

John Linn wrote:
> I searched the archives and the docs and didn’t see anything specific to
> fragmentation.  I’m developing an LL TEMAC driver for u-boot on Xilinx
> boards and am seeing an issue.
>
> If the TFTP server providing the kernel image is not fragmenting
> packets, I can transfer a kernel image fine.  But if the TFTP server
> fragments packets I see problems.  I’m sure it’s a problem with my new
> driver, but wanted to make sure there’s not any known issues with u-boot
> in this area.
>
> Thanks,
> John

The code says "no."

<http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=net/net.c;h=78128772fe5cda166ea74aa8ac95832d8d155b55;hb=HEAD#l1407>

if (ip->ip_off & htons(0x1fff)) { /* Can't deal w/ fragments */
         return;

That's too bad, bigger packets can help substantially with throughput on
TFTP (throughput is hammered by latency with TFTP).  Something to think
about... doing simple reassembly (only handle in-sequence reassembly) is
fairly simple.

Best regards,
gvb