[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot and Linux on Walnut based board

Brian S. Park brian.park at corelis.com
Thu Jun 12 03:04:38 CEST 2008

Hi,
I'm trying to get the latest U-Boot 1.3.3 and Linux (any version)
working on our custom board based on Walnut demo board. I have used
U-Boot 1.0.0 and Linux 2.4.20 on our other similar board and that
worked out well. However, a lot seems to have changed since then.

Since I'm using ELDK 4.1 now (used ELDK 2.1 for the old project), the
old code does not compile properly. So, I'm trying to get the latest
code to work with our new board and are having some issues.

1. U-Boot 1.3.3 works. But it does not boot the old Linux image or
Linux 2.4.25 (latest 2.4?) compiled using ELDK 4.1
2. U-Boot 1.0.0 boots Linux 2.4.25 (latest 2.4?) compiled using ELDK 4.1.

Then I found out that the kernel parameter passing has changed and I
should use powerpc architecture instead of ppc. But Linux 2.4.25 does
not have powerpc architecture. So, I'm now trying 2.6 kernel. Using
linux-2.6-latest.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/linux/. However,
the powerpc architecture does not have walnut.c for configuring the
board. I need to customize it since our custom board does not have FPGA.

What's the best way to build linux kernel that works on U-Boot 1.3.3?

Thanks.

Brian

Brian S. Park  brian.park at corelis.com  (562) 926-6727 x132
Everything we do helps our customers get to market
FASTER with HIGHER quality and LOWER cost