[U-Boot-Users] Run Linux kernel from within a JFFS2 filesystem

Luigi 'Comio' Mantellini luigi.mantellini at idf-hit.com
Sat Jun 14 12:18:47 CEST 2008

Ciao Pesà,

U-Boot can load an image from a jffs2 fs using the fsload command:

fsload DEST_ADDR imagename

Furthermore, you need to properly define the mtdpart and mtdids
environment vars or define the opportune #define, like this:

#define MTDIDS_DEFAULT          "nor0=phys_mapped_flash"
#define MTDPARTS_DEFAULT
"mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash:2M(jffs2),10M(root)ro,2M(u-boot)ro,2M(kernel)ro"

ciao,

luigi

Il giorno sab, 14/06/2008 alle 11.48 +0200, Giuseppe Modugno ha scritto:

> Hi all,
>
> this is my first post in this mailing list. I hope I don't start with a FAQ.
>
> On my board I have installed U-Boot and I'm able to run Linux kernel and
>   rootfs via Flash/Flash (ramdisk/image file) or TFTP/NFS.
>
> Of course, either ramdisk and nfs aren't suitable for my end application
> (ramdisk losts many RAM space and NFS won't be available).
>
> So I'd like to use a local root filesystem stored in the NOR Flash (a
> J30 Intel), starting from the small ramdisk I have and adding all
> software I need.
>
> I could divide my Flash memory in three partitions:
> - U-Boot bootloader (with the two sectors for its configuration)
> - Linux kernel image
> - JFFS2 root filesystem
>
> But I want to go futher and I want to save the linux kernel image file
> into the root JFFS2 filesystem. So I'll have only two main partitions:
> - U-Boot bootloader (...)
> - JFFS2 root filesystem (with linuk kernel image file saved inside)
>
> Is U-Boot able to run a kernel image file that is saved into a JFFS2
> filesystem stored in the Flash? I think this is what happens on a
> desktop computer (where the bootloader is Grub and the root filesystem
> is on a hard-disk and the kernel is a file saved into it).
>
> I think it isn't so simple for U-Boot that is capable of running the
> application (linux kernel in my case) only at a specified memory address
> (it doesn't have any knowledge about JFFS2 filesystem, do it?).
>
> Many thanks for your comments and my compliments for the good work!
>
>    Giuseppe

Ing. Luigi Mantellini
Industrie Dial Face S.p.A.
Via Canzo, 4