[U-Boot-Users] [Patch 0/9] U-boot-V2: Introduce I2C support for SDP3430

Menon, Nishanth x0nishan at ti.com
Wed Jun 18 17:52:44 CEST 2008

Timur,

Lol... not entirely true.. I'd say it is inspired by Linux kernel. In fact lots of stuff we have in kernel which are not required in a boot support scenario has been pared down.. we don't have multiple schedulers, process et.al. IMHO, u-boot v2 is neat, it will need lot of our effort is making it better :). A call for more folks to pitch in? ;)

I have a boot loader which does basic stuff and a usable prompt in around 30 something K. which kind of neat in itself.

>We could probably
> save ourselves a lot of trouble if we just took the DDR and CPU register
> initialization code in U-Boot and moved it to the kernel.

This may not be possible in all configurations. Where possible, platforms can choose to do it - yes - I would probably not need to do camera configurations in u-boot on my SOC - I will push it off to kernel. I might however need to talk i2c to my USB transceiver here to do USBTTY or USBNET. Doing cpu and clock inits may not be enough in u-boot in that case.

Regards,
Nishanth Menon