[U-Boot-Users] u-boot on N810

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 03:29:35 CEST 2008

Ashish Bijlani wrote:
> Thanks for the response. Does u-boot support n810? Can I flash u-boot
> on n810? Thanks.

No, you would need to port u-boot to the hardware.  The OMAP and the
necessary built in peripherals shouldn't be a major problem, but you
would have to get the rest of the hardware like the SDRAM and other bits
& pieces initialized/configured before u-boot will run on the hardware.

Be aware that you need to be very good and extremely lucky to load a new
u-boot without bricking your n810.  If you try flashing u-boot, you
better have an alternate means of reloading the firmware (i.e. a JTAG
debugger).

I'm curious: why do you wish to replace the n810 firmware?  The current
firmware initializes the hardware and boots linux... those are the usual
primary reasons for porting u-boot to new hardware.

gvb
P.S. I have a n800.  It would be cool to have u-boot running on it, but
I don't see the pain vs. gain paying off.