[U-Boot-Users] CPU (405ep) clock upgrade..

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon Jun 30 14:27:43 CEST 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008, Yi-Neng Lin (林義能) wrote:
>  Thanks a lot for your reply, Stefan. However, in my understanding, only
> memory-related info is stored in the EEPROM in the memory module, isn't it?

Yes, the I2C EEPROM on the DIMM has of course only memory module related
stuff. But I was referring to the 405EX bootstrap EEPROM (see chapter 9.2 IIC
serial EPROM controller (IEC) Operation in the 405EP users manual).

> The CPU and bus related info is hard-coded in the code. This is what I saw
> from my code. Not very sure of it, though.

Yes, could be that you are using the fixed, compiled-in speed configuration.

>    I think it's the spd_sdram() [cpu/ppc4xx] who does the job, which could
> have been an outdated method.

It was renamed and is now called 40x_spd_sdram.c. For board with DIMM modules
on 405EP this is the way to go.

> The timing info is read from the SPD (Serial
> Presence Detect) EEPROM on the SDRAM module. My question is, with the
> upgraded CPU clock (333MHz), ordinary SDRAMs (PC100 and PC133) may not be
> able to support it, which means I may have to use PC2700 (333MHz; too
> fast?) or PC66(66MHz; too slow?). Am I correct? Any other comment or
> solution for this?

I'm pretty sure that you still can use the "ordinary" DIMMs. The driver should
configure the needed parameters like CAS latency accordingly.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de