[U-Boot-Users] latest u-boot (1.3.2-rc2) and dataflash vs CFG_NO_FLASH

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 2 22:07:31 CET 2008

Dear Matt,

in message <4697729899C81C4388059CC380C71745011BABED at xchg-lma-01.Avidyne.com> you wrote:

> If I try to copy from Ram to dataflash, u-boot says "Copy to Flash..."
> and the CPU pukes; it's detecting what it thinks is flash.
>
> If I #define CFG_NO_FLASH, other stuff breaks.  If I fix that by
> changing include/flash.h to remove the #ifndef CFG_NO_FLASH, then
> everything compiles, but on the link, all of the flash stuff that I DO
> need (flash_info, flash_erase, etc) isn't defined because of
> CFG_NO_FLASH.

The current dataflash implementation really needs to be cleaned up.

> Has this been fixed ANYWHERE in someone's branch?
>
> Wolfgang, I know you don't really care much about non-memory flash
> "devices" but is there some vision as to where all this is supposed to
> go?

It's not exactly correct that I don't care. The situation is that  we
have no such hardware in our lab. That means I cannot even test it.

The "vision" is to add  some  proper  device  interface  (similar  to
and/or  unified  with  NAND, for example). But AFAIK no such work has
been started yet.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.