[U-Boot-Users] Ramdisk larger than 8M causes problem

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Mar 5 09:30:17 CET 2008

Hi Robert,

>     I am facing a problem that ,I built a ramdisk(16M)  larger than 8M,
> the kernel couldn't start up correctly with this ramdisk , the filesystem
> couln't be mounted and "kernel panic" happened. But if the ramdisk is
> smaller
>  than or equal to 8M , it works fine. I tried the two method as what  the
> website
> (http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RamdiskGreaterThan4MBCausesProblems)
>  said. but it takes no effect.
> Anybody gives me some hints?

This is really offtopic on the U-Boot ML, but anyway...

The 8MB are usually a compiled in limit for the size of ramdisks.  You
can either change CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE at compile time or provide a
command line parameter to the kernel, e.g. "ramdisk_size=8192k".

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
He who can properly define and divide is to be considered a god.
                                        -- Plato