[U-Boot-Users] MPC8349-mITX-GP and MontaVista Linux

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Mar 7 18:29:25 CET 2008

Andy Pont wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get MontaVista Linux Pro 5.0 to run on
> the Freescale MPC8349-mITX-GP reference platform using
> U-Boot 1.3.2-rc2.  When I try to start my kernel I get
> the following output:
>
> MPC8349E-mITX-GP> bootm $loadaddr - $fdtaddr
> ## Booting image at 00a00000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-2.6.18_pro500-8349itx
>    Created:      2007-10-22  19:02:12 UTC
>    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
> compressed)
>    Data Size:    2214322 Bytes =  2.1 MB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
>    Booting using the fdt at 0x800000
> OK
> WARNING: could not create /chosen FDT_ERR_NOSPACE.
> ERROR: /chosen node create failed - must RESET the
> board to recover.
> Resetting the board.
>
> Is this error a problem with the way that U-Boot is
> setting up the FDT or is it a problem with the way my
> Linux kernel is interpreting the information that the
> bootloader has given it?
>
> If it makes any difference the kernel and FDT file
> were built using the MontaVista LSP for the non-GP
> version of the 8349-mITX as that is what they
> currently support!
>
> TIA.

Hi Andy,

The above error is from u-boot and is indicating that you don't have
enough free space in your fdt blob to add the /chosen node and properties.

The best solution is to use the "-S" and "-R" parameters to dtc to
create a blob with enough extra space in it to hold the necessary
information.
<http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/UBoot/UBootFdtInfo#Important_Safety_Tips>

Best regards,
gvb