[U-Boot-Users] NAND flash programming via BDI2000 for ppc440epx.

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Sun Mar 9 15:12:14 CET 2008

Hi,

On 9 Mar 2008 at 15:05, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <406A31B117F2734987636D6CCC93EE3C0252928B at ehost011-3.exch011.intermedia.net> you wrote:
> >
> > BDI2000 doesn't support NAND flash programming. However it's possible
> > using BDI2000 to load some code to RAM and then run it. This code can do
> > practically anything including NAND programming. Does somebody have such
> > code for ppc440epx CPU?
> >
> > To that end I could use u-boot itself if I could make it run directly
> > from RAM... just to program NAND. However it's not simple thing to do
> > for ppc440... but may be somebody has done it?
>
> You can as well use the BDI2000 to program the standard U-Boot image
> to NOR flash, boot from NOR and then use U-Boot...

the problem is that this is not suitable for production use.

It would be a very elegant solution to have U-Boot run from RAM with
an environment in RAM to tell it what and where to flash... You could
set up the environment while loading the data and would have a flexible
flashing tool.

The only thing missing for this is a working CONFIG_MONITOR_IS_IN_RAM
as far as I can see.

Regards,
Wolfgang Wegner