[U-Boot-Users] CONFIG_NET_MULTI

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:17:55 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Alex Raimondi
<alex.raimondi at miromico.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I don't understand CONFIG_CMD_NET and CONFIG_NET_MULTI.

It's confusing, true.

>  I would expect CONFIG_CMD_NET to be defined whenever I want to have
>  network support in U-Boot, right?
>
>  And CONFIG_NET_MULTI is defined when I have more then one network interface?

That's how it should work, but as you're finding out it's not quite right.
>  I try to adapt U-Boot to our new AVR32 based board. AVR32 has two
>  interfaces, but only one is actually implemented on our board.
>
>  CONFIG_CMD_NET is defined per default. If I undefine CONFIG_NET_MULTI I
>  get linker error about missing functions.
>  With CONFIG_NET_MULTI defined everything works fine. Should this be like
>  this?

Probably.  As you point out, there are two paths in net/net.c, and
most of the newer Ethernet controllers are only handled in the one
where CONFIG_NET_MULTI is defined.  For now, just define
CONFIG_NET_MULTI, even if you only have one interface.  Hopefully
we'll get this cleaned up in the near future, but as you can imagine
there are massive 'backwards-compatible' implications.

regards,
Ben