[U-Boot-Users] PPC440Epx Sequoia Flash-based size limitation?

Dave Littell littelld at verizon.net
Fri Mar 14 02:33:39 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm working on an AMCC PPC440EPx platform that is similar to the AMCC
Sequoia under U-Boot 1.3.1.  I've copied the Sequoia board and
configuration as a starting point, but I've run into a problem with the
size of the flash-based portion of U-Boot.  I've added code to
initdram() that results in the addition of 3-4 dozen assembly
instructions.  Now the board hangs after a very few tftp (or even ping)
commands.  However, if I remove the code I added, there's no problem
with tftp, etc.  I've narrowed it down to the point where I can make the
difference between a working and non-working load by adding just a few
instructions to initdram().  Some boundary or limit is being crossed
somewhere...

I'm sure I've overrun something somewhere but I'm afraid I'm not
literate enough in the magic of the .lds file (which is unmodified from
the Sequoia platform) to understand what adding so few instructions to
the flash-based portion of U-boot might have broken.

I've searched the FAQ and mailing list archives, all to no avail.  Does
anyone have any suggestions other that "write tighter code"?  ;-)

Thanks,
Dave