[U-Boot-Users] Possible memory leak in cpu/ppc4xx/4xx_enet.c

Dave Littell littelld at verizon.net
Sat Mar 15 03:44:13 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've seen an issue with my 1.3.1-based port of U-Boot where a relatively
large number of pings issued from the command line will ultimately fail
with the message:

Cannot allocate private hw data for eth_device...

I looked around this message and it seems that ppc_4xx_eth_initialize()
malloc()’s a EMAC_4XX_HW_PST structure and assigns it to dev->priv.
However, nothing ever frees this buffer so standing on a ping will
ultimately pull down all the available memory.

One fix might be to free( dev->priv ) at the end of ppc_4xx_eth_halt().
 I tried this today and noted no ill effects.

Thanks,
Dave