[U-Boot-Users] include/autoconf.mk issue

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Thu Mar 20 17:41:00 CET 2008

Jon Loeliger wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 10:32, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>> Um... that would fix this specific situation - but we might still run
>> into the same problem with the next attempt to convert  code  to  the
>> new config style.
>
> Yeah, we just need to pick 'em off one-by-one... :-)
>
>> For example, there might be code which might be compiled depending on
>> CONFIG_PREBOOT.
>
> Ah, as I understand that one, I think it gets solved in
> a slightly different manner.  The kernel introduces a "HAS"
> variant that indicates if the feature is enabled and
> then uses something like CONFIG_HAS_PREBOOT to indicate
> and test for its presence.  The actual _value_ remains
> the CONFIG_PREBOOT symbol.
>
> jdl

Hi Jon,

In a recent patch (picked up by Stefan but not in the current ToT)
   <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/38092>
I added a config CONFIG_FLASH_SHOW_PROGRESS which I used to provide a
countdown value as well as configure code (*not* a .o file).  Based on
my limited understanding and perusal of the linux Kconfig methodology,
this looked like an acceptable thing.

Is this a violation of Good Design[tm], or is the "CONFIG_HAS_*"
principle an additional rule that only applies if you have a separately
compiled file, necessary so that the "COBJS-y +=" trick works?

Thanks for clarifying,
gvb