[U-Boot-Users] ARM custodian change

Nicolas Ferre nicolas.ferre at atmel.com
Thu Mar 20 18:12:36 CET 2008

Ulf Samuelsson <ulf.samuelsson <at> atmel.com> writes:

> [...]

[..]

> >> Would it not be better if the Atmel ARM was handled by the Atmel AT91
> >> Product line

We (the AT91 software team) do not have this opinion. It is very enriching
to work with people from the community.

> > Could be, I really don't know. I don't remember seeing Atmel ARM patches
> > posted or reviewed by other Atmel than yourself.
>
> They were sent in 3-4 years ago.
> Since there were no response, they lost interest, and have not tried
> since then.
> They are maintaining a separate U-Boot source package.

Ulf, we do not lose interest ! We simply do not have the
opportunity to rebase and test our work against the latest developments
for all chips&boards.
This opportunity is here now and we will be glad to contribute.

> > So for the time being, we gladly accept that Jean-Christophe volunteered
> > to take over this custodianship. From my point of view, he is doing a
> > very good job with his other U-Boot activities. So I expect that the
> > AT91 support could be handled better from now on.
>
> Have no criticism against Jean-Christophe, but I think that support for
> new chips may be available earlier with the AT91 team.

We  will, for sure, work with Jean-Christophe and all AT91 u-boot
contributors for new chips introduction.

> > But again, we are open for other suggestions here too. If you think
> > someone at Atmel is better suited to do this job, then please let us
> > know.
>
> I will not have the time to maintain, that is for sure.
>
> I think that the issue needs to be raised with the AT91 team, but it
> might be that the AT91 team decides that they rather work closely
> with Jean-Christophe.
>
> Andrew Victor is doing a good job maintaining the AT91 Linux port
> so there is a precedent for this already.

It is exactly the kind of relationship we would like to build with the
new custodian.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Ferre