[U-Boot-Users] RFC: make new image support mandatory

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 26 15:26:02 CET 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> now that the new image  format  has  been  merged  into  mainline,  I
> propose  that  we  make it mandatory for all newly added boards. That
> means, that each new board that gets added shall at least contain
>
> 	#define CONFIG_FIT              1
>
> in it's board config file; I recommend to add also
>
> 	#define CONFIG_FIT_VERBOSE      1 /* enable
> fit_format_{error,warning}() */
>

> Can we agree on this?

I haven't tried out the CONFIG_FIT stuff yet so some of these concerns
might not be real issues:
1. Are their changes to linux kernel build system to create a
FIT .uImage ?
2. if "#define CONFIG_FIT 1" can we use an "old" style uImage?

If the answer to 2. is no, I'm concerned about boards that are part of
a family (like Freescale reference boards for PPC) and having two
different image formats to deal with.

- k