[U-Boot-Users] [Fwd: Re: LZMA support (patch)]

Luigi 'Comio' Mantellini luigi.mantellini at idf-hit.com
Fri Mar 28 22:27:48 CET 2008

Hi  Wolfgang,

> In message <1206724722.23627.28.camel at localhost> you wrote:
>>
>> this patch adds the lzma support with the following
>> constraints:
>>
>>  - it doesn't install the LZMA SDK files. I provide the
>> import_lzma.sh
>> script to import the needs file from a lzma sdk release
>
> Sorry, but I will not accept this.
>
> U-Boot has always been self-contained, and I don't intend to
> change
> this.

Running the contained script the directory will be populated
with all need files (LzmaTypes.h, LzmaDecode.*). Anyway, I can
resubmit the patch including all files. The LZMA SDK is
released under LGPL with exceptions but I don't understand if
the license is compatible with the u-boot's license. For this
reason I omitted  the sources from the SDK.

> Please make sure that a patch contains all files that belong to
> it.
>
> Also, please explain what this new code is useful for. So far I
> don;t
> see any real-life use cases ?

LMZA performs better than LZ on binary files. I will switch to
LZMA to save flash memory space on my appliance. Of course, the
LZMA is slower than LZ.

Anyway, if the LZMA SDK license is compatible with U-boot , I
think that LZMA should be chosen by firmware developer when the
flash memory space is a critical resource.

My 2 Cents,

luigi