[U-Boot-Users] LZMA support (patch)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 28 23:33:58 CET 2008

In message <5566.213.156.35.235.1206739577.webmail at webmail.idf-hit.com> you wrote:

> Running the contained script the directory will be populated
> with all need files (LzmaTypes.h, LzmaDecode.*). Anyway, I can
> resubmit the patch including all files. The LZMA SDK is
> released under LGPL with exceptions but I don't understand if
> the license is compatible with the u-boot's license. For this
> reason I omitted  the sources from the SDK.

This makes no sense to me.

Either the license is compatible, and the code can be included, or it
is not, then it cannot. In the latter case, the whole patch makes no
sense.

Please check for compatibility of licenses berfore resubmitting.

> LMZA performs better than LZ on binary files. I will switch to
> LZMA to save flash memory space on my appliance. Of course, the
> LZMA is slower than LZ.

But so far there is no code (board support) in  U-Boot  to  use  this
feature, right? And it's not used by the Linux kernel either?

And your patch does not even enable support for it in the mkimage
tool, so you cannot even create images that use the feature?

How exactly is this code supposed to be used?

> Anyway, if the LZMA SDK license is compatible with U-boot , I
> think that LZMA should be chosen by firmware developer when the
> flash memory space is a critical resource.

Frankly, if you are so short with flash you have a h/w dsign problem.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
core error - bus dumped