[U-Boot-Users] commit 22069215 - [MIPS] Fix $gp usage

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun May 4 20:58:33 CEST 2008

Dear Shinya,

I think we need your help with the current MIPS code; it seems that
this commit is causing problems:

	commit 22069215eb7adf5a3888bf7c7784ea9d70a72cd0
	Author: Shinya Kuribayashi <shinya.kuribayashi at necel.com>
	Date:   Sun Oct 21 10:55:36 2007 +0900

	    [MIPS] Fix $gp usage

The issue is with "cpu/mips/start.S"; with older toolchains (like ELDK
3.1.1 which uses binutils 2.14, we get:

	start.S: Assembler messages:
	start.S:348: Error: relocation out of range
	make[1]: *** [start.o] Error 1

With ELDK 4.0 and 4.1 (binutils 2.16.1) we get no erros, but these
warnigns:

	cache.S: Assembler messages:
	cache.S:243: Warning: Pretending global symbol used as branch target is local.
	cache.S:250: Warning: Pretending global symbol used as branch target is local.

Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard reports that he sees no problems (no
errors nor warnings) with binutils 2.18

I wonder if it was possible to come up with a version of the code
that builds with somewhat older versions of the toolchains, too?

Thanks in advance.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The price of curiosity is a terminal experience.
                         - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_