[U-Boot-Users] Problem building u-boot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue May 6 17:55:33 CEST 2008

Nick wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having problems build the last couple of u-boot releases.  All the
> files compile correctly, but when it tries to link, I get the following
> error.
>
> ppc_6xx-objcopy --gap-fill-0xff -O binary u-boot u-boot.bin
> ppc_6xx-objcopy: u-boot.bin: No Space left on device
>
> I am building uboot for a MPC5200b processor configured for high boot
> (address 0xfff00000)
>
> I have at least 10Gbytes of space on my harddrive.
>
> Is there a makefile configuration that I need to make?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Nick Droogh

Hi Nick,

You have a link map issue, something in your link map is a long way away
(in terms of addresses) from your main code.  The --gap-fill-0xff is
filling that *whole empty space* with 0xFF, which fills up your HD.

Use "objdump -h" to look at the section headers and it will probably be
clear what the problem is.

HTH,
gvb