[U-Boot-Users] How to use tftp to book kernel image and mount remote root fs

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Wed May 14 04:05:29 CEST 2008

Steven Woody wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>> Dear Steven,
>>
>> in message <ed4892840805121852t46d4c4d0rd52a9eb129121f7b at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>> Q1:
>>>
>>> Both 5.9.5.1 (
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCmdGroupDownload#Section_5.9.5.1.
>>> ) and 5.9.5.6 (
>>> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCmdGroupDownload#Section_5.9.5.6.
>>> ) talk about booting image via network, but there are only few lines
>>> of description about these commands.  I don't know which one I should
>>> use, tftpboot or bootp? And, for each one, what's the requirement on
>> That depends on what you want to do. Do you understand the differecne
>> between TFTP and BOOTP (resp. DHCP) protocols?
>
> I understand tftp and bootp as a function of current DHCP, but I don't
> know how tftp and bootp is related.  Would you suggest me something to
> read? Thank you.

Bootp is a boot protocol that allows a system to query a server to
figure out what IP it is assigned and what executable file to load
(typically via TFTP).  DHCP is the successor to bootp.

TFTP is a file transfer protocol that allows a system to load its
executable (typically) file from the server.

<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5465> (ignore RARP, it is deprecated).

HTH,
gvb