[U-Boot-Users] old code compiled with new gcc. error: lvalue required

甜瓜 littlesweetmelon at gmail.com
Wed May 14 11:19:41 CEST 2008

Howdy,
     I want to compile ppcboot 1.1.6 by ELDK 4.1. Well, ppcboot is very
ancient code, but for some reason, I have to compile it.
There are many exact same compile-time errors reported:
error: lvalue required as increment/decrement operand.
   xsum += *((ushort *)ptr)++;

   *((ulong *)addr_sp)-- = 0;

There are about 20 errors. Is there any walkaround?  eg, compile options to
gcc that can use old C standard.

Again, a very obscure code:
viod some_func(ushort* ptr,...)
{
     switch(SWAP16(*((ushort *)ptr)++)    // @_@ how to deal with the
side-effect of ++?
     {
     case ...:
           ptr2 = ptr; // ptr is ++-ed of to-be ++ ?
           CallSomeOtherFunction();  // When calling, how about ptr....
     }
}

   Thank you for your attention.
---