[U-Boot-Users] [Junk released by Allow List] Command historyno longer working

Hugo Villeneuve hugo.villeneuve at lyrtech.com
Thu May 29 22:13:45 CEST 2008

Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 15:41 -0400, Hugo Villeneuve wrote:
>> u-boot-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have observed that after this commit, the command history is no
>>> longer working:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> commit 597f6c26a18b389903a64692bacbf9a1ca69355b
>>> Author: James Yang <James.Yang at freescale.com>
>>> Date:   Mon May 5 10:22:53 2008 -0500
>>>
>>>     Fix readline_into_buffer() with CONFIG_CMDLINE_EDITING before
>>> relocating
>>>
>>>     When CONFIG_CMDLINE_EDITING is enabled, readline_into_buffer()
>>>     doesn't work before relocating to RAM because command history
>>>     is written into a global array that is not writable before
>>>     relocation.  This patch defers to the no-editing and no-history
>>>     code in readline_into_buffer() if it is called before
>>> relocation. ---
>>>
>>> Based on the comments, I dont understand why it ceases to work
>>> because, in my case, U-Boot runs entirely from RAM (it is copied
>>> from flash to RAM by a first stage bootloader).
>>>
>>> I have CONFIG_CMDLINE_EDITING defined.
>>
>> Well after reading through the code in common/main.c, I figured that
>> by setting GD_FLG_RELOC in my board init function:
>>
>>   gd->flags |= GD_FLG_RELOC;
>>
>> command history would be working again, and it did.
>>
>> But is it the right thing to do?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I noticed that not a lot of platforms/boards set GD_FLG_RELOC so
>> command history will probably cease to work for these boards also?
>
> Most boards do the relocation and then it gets set by the common
> board_init_r() function.

All right then, my board is based ont he ARM926, so I have added
the code to my misc_init_r() function.

While looking into this problem, I think I have found a small
glitch with the original patch for the commit
597f6c26a18b389903a64692bacbf9a1ca69355b. I´m sending a patch
in a few minutes to try to correct it.

Hugo V.

Hugo Villeneuve
Hardware developer | Concepteur matériel
Lyrtech
Phone/Tél. : (1) (418) 877-4644 #2395
Toll-free/Sans frais - Canada & USA : (1) (888) 922-4644 #2395
Fax/Téléc. : (1) (418) 877-7710
www.lyrtech.com
Infinite possibilities...TM