[U-Boot-Users] MPC8360x FATAL BUG with UEC and 10BaseT

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Fri May 30 11:38:13 CEST 2008

All - Freescale crowd,

Carefully reading the manual it becomes evident, though not obvious that
current U-boot UEC driver would crash with any 10BaseT hub connected.

I.e. any RGMII connection with Half Duplex, which the current UEC driver
readily will set, is an illegal mode in the MPC83xx chipsets. At least the
MPC836xx chips.

You'll get TX FIFO errors, followed by no TX Buffers ready, as the QE just
locks up.

My main concern is that how does one make the PHY switch modes without
implementing some kind of crude reset of the entire driver? I.e. the PHY has
to change interface mode from RGMII to something else that can support half
duplex, as well as the MAC inside the MPC83xx has to change modes to
something other than RGMII that can support half duplex.

Currently there is no code path to drive anything other than RGMII. Anyone
got suggestions? My beta code for a national GigE part, simply calls a
function similar to the Marvell change_phy_interface() seems to cause the QE
to never get a lock with the PHY device, and thus nothing is ever
established.  Not sure if the QE is losing sync with the PHY or the PHY is
blowing up due to a change of interface type on the fly.

Kim???

-Russ