[U-Boot] U-Boot version for a new port

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 05:18:23 CEST 2008

Roman Mashak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to make a port on a ARM926EJ-S based board. What is the
> recommended way: take release or GIT version as a base ?
> Thanks.

Definitely work off the GIT tip of the tree.

The current window for changes is (almost) closed: there will be a
period of stabilization.  The ToT is generally stable despite the change
window/stabilization phases and git (rebase) is very adept at merging
any bugfixes from the git master (git.denx.de) into your local
development git repository.

Hints:
* Keep an unchanged mirror of git.denx.de if you are slightly paranoid
and clone from that for your local development.
* Branches are your friend!  Always create a new branch and then
rebase/merge/git-am from your master mirror (or git.denx.de).  If it
works, great.  If it doesn't, figure out what is wrong.  Worst case,
throw away the trial branch and be happy you didn't mess up your main
branch(es).

Best regards,
gvb