[U-Boot] Boot from jffs2 filesystem problem

Pedro Luis D. L. carcadiz at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:04:42 CEST 2008

[Previously posted in the wrong mail list, sorry]

Hello everybody,

I'm finding some problems trying to boot a TQM5200 board using a jffs2 image as filesystem.

The u-boot version I'm using is 1.3.1 (self compiled) and Linux Kernel 2.6.23.1.

It is possible to boot it with a stored kernel uImage and the oftree in the flash using a nfs filesystem,
but I can't not boot it using the jffs2 image.
I've read a lot of documentation from denx.de and this is my configuration at the moment:

mtdparts=mtdparts=TQM5200-0:512k(uboot),256k(environment),3328k(kernel),20m(jffs2),256k(oftree)
bootargs_mtd=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} ${mtdparts}
bootargs_flash=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw rootfstype=jffs2
(even tried with root=/dev/mtdblock3, I'm not sure if 0 counts or not)
bootargs_base=setenv bootargs console=ttyPSC0,115200
bootcmd_flash=run bootargs_base bootargs_flash bootargs_mtd;bootm fC0C0000 – fD800000

I've defined the partitions myself and double checked the numbers, first myself, then using the mtdparts command.
The kernel image, oftree, and jffs2 filesystem are stored in the flash.
The problem comes at booting. Even when "root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw rootfstype=jffs2" is passed to the kernel,
it always tries to boot from a Ramdisk image. This is the output when I run bootcmd_flash command:

=> run bootcmd_flash
## Booting image at fc0c0000 ...
Image Name: Linux-2.6.23.1-rt5-pcm030-1trunk
Created: 2008-09-02 11:48:23 UTC
Image Type: PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 1534856 Bytes = 1.5 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
Bad Magic Number

It seems to me that U-boot is trying to boot from RAMDisk instead of booting the kernel, but I'm not sure.
The same kernel is working properly on a phytec board and 1.2.0 U-boot,
so it's not a problem with jffs2 support within the kernel.
Any hint how to boot from jffs2 filesystem? The example in U-Boot documentation doesn't use oftree and so,
bootm ${kernel_addr} is used, but TQM5200 requieres FDT description to boot linux as you'll know.
Maybe should I compile the U-boot using some CONFIG_ parameter?

Thanks in advance.

Pedro L. Dominguez.