[U-Boot] alias in powerpc device tree

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 02:03:54 CEST 2008

Hi John,

John Linn wrote:
> It appears that u-boot expects an alias list in the device tree. I only
> found this in the code for the fdt processing.

Yes.  The /aliases node gives tremendous advantages.

> I'm working on getting our device tree correct to be able to allow
> u-boot to alter the device tree.

Good.  The "common/fdt_support.c" file should have all the utilities you
need already written, assuming you have a proper /aliases node.

> Is this all that's needed as my device tree is good as far as the kernel
> booting with it and u-boot passes it fine to the kernel such that it
> boots?
>
> Or somewhere there's some documentation that I didn't read and should
> have?

Are you telling us to WTFM?  ;-)

Adding the /aliases node and properties should be sufficient.  This is
not documented in any obvious way in u-boot (sorry).  I don't see any
documentation in Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt either.
It probably should be added.  It probably should be considered to be one
of the "Required nodes and properties".

The /aliases node is a standard Open Firmware-ism, but it isn't real
obvious to non OF gurus (and I'm not a OF guru).

> Thanks,
> John

Best regards,
gvb