[U-Boot] erase and saveenv stop working after using fw_setenv

Guennadi Liakhovetski lg at denx.de
Tue Sep 16 11:47:57 CEST 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> b) Guennadi, I think it would be  nice,  user-friendly  behaviour  if
>    fw_setenv  did  not unconditional locking, but would instead leave
>    the flash in the same state it found it. Do you think it would  be
>    possible  to  test  the state first, and then perform the unlock /
>    lock operations only when the flash sectors  were  already  locked
>    when fw_setenv was called?

I am not sure if this is possible with the current MTD ABI, it looks like
it is not. There is a flags member in struct mtd_info_user, which can take
value MTD_WRITEABLE, but I think it means something different - whether
this mtd-device is writable in principle. So, it looks like the only way
to find out whether the specific sector is locked is to try to write /
erase it:-(

Thanks
Guennadi
---