[U-Boot] booting initramfs

cjjoy1980 cjjoy1980 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:07:54 CEST 2008

Hi all!
I am trying to boot my board with initramfs file system. After loading the
kernel image and initramfs onto uboot, executing bootm command gave me
errors of "bad magic number".   Then I tried to append header information
using
mkimage,  here's what I executed:

/tools/mkimage -A ppc -O linux -T filesystem -C gzip -n 'Initramfs root
file' -d /exports/myinitramfs.cpio.gz myramfs
Image Name:   Initramfs root file
Created:      Tue Sep 16 21:28:41 2008
Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Filesystem Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:    51685255 Bytes = 50473.88 kB = 49.29 MB
Load Address: 0x00000000
Entry Point:  0x00000000

When I try to boot this image, I am getting "No Linux PPC Ramdisk Image"

   Image Name:   Initramfs root file
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Unknown Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    51685255 Bytes = 49.3 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   No Linux PPC Ramdisk Image
(u-boot restarts after this)

1. Where am I going wrong. Can I not boot using Initramfs, or should I
create Ramdisk image only for booting the board.
2. If I need to create ramdisk using genext2fs is there any size
restriction, that the file size should be
less than 8 MB?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
joy