[U-Boot] U-Boot on ARM9

Hebbar gururajakr at sanyo.co.in
Mon Sep 22 11:46:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

>>I have a few questions on arm926 initialization code, located in
>>${U_BOOT}/cpu/arm926ejs/start.S:
>>1) what is the point of deliberately setting up SVC mode, as it's
>>already in this mode right upon the reset?
What if the target board has a custom bootmonitor & you use U-Boot as
secondary bootloader. This is a precautionary measure.

>>2) I can't quite understand what 'CONFIG_USE_IRQ' is used for. It is
>>defined on just a few targets.
Generally bootloader doesnt use IRQ for running. But if u need to use
IRQ/FIQ u need to setup stacks for the Same. And also When Interrupt occurs
you need to set sp to pint to proper stacks, save registers & then jump to
irq handler. U_Boot provides a common envelope for all interrupt related
functions.

>>3) The stack set up -- commonly startup code initializes stacks for
>>all modes, but it's not clear how it's done in 'start.S'. Seems like
>>somehow stacks are run-time configured, but I didn't perceive  how.
U-boot Initially sets up Stack for SVC Mode.

Upon Interrupt Triggers, Stacks are setup for the IRQ/FIQ Modes.

This is done in the ${U_BOOT}/cpu/arm926ejs/start.S

for SVC Mode ---> @ line 173
for IRQ Mode --->  @ line 327
for FIQ Mode --->  @ line 331

Hope this would clear your doubts.