[U-Boot] [RFC] bootm: Add sub commands

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 22 23:06:18 CEST 2008

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <6ADB3DCC-693A-41EB-BDCD-0B20865F677E at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> >> +	/* start */
> >> +	if (argv[1][0] == 's') {
> >
> > I think just matching on the first letter is to restrictive; we'll end
> > up with artificical command "names" that nobody can remember.
>
> I'm happy to move to using strncmp, but I agree with Jerry that other
> subcommand do the shortest match possible.

Agreed. The shortest unambiguous match shall be  sufficient.  On  the
other  hand  we  should  allow for longer subcopmmand names, or we'll
very soon see artifical command identifiers that nobody can  remember
well  because  they  were  artificially  chosen to use a still unused
letter.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of  claiming  I
never made one.                                     - James G. Bennet