[U-Boot] mpc83xx U-boot questions

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Sep 26 19:37:28 CEST 2008

Yuke Tian wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for your kind response. What I am doing is to try to load the
> RTEMS (a kind of open source real time operating system) image to the
> board. It has a BSP for this board. All the tools I used are targeting
> powerpc and tailed for this board.  But the final executable format is
> .exe. I am not sure if this format is good to download and run on the
> board using U-boot.  I just happen to know there is a mkimage utility
> from U-boot.

1) You need to do a lot of reading: books - see below - and on-line
documentation such as <http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Documentation>.
Also the RTEMS documentation
   <http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_Start>
   <http://www.rtems.com/onlinedocs.html>
You have to have some fundamental knowledge before you can ask questions
that we can answer.

Note that you aren't the first to ask the question you started out with,
see the README file:
<http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=README;h=ccd839ca25828c2be9d2ac576259b443d0704792;hb=HEAD#l3859>

2) Some (idiot) tools create non-Windows binary executables as .exe
files.  This is nonstandard in terms of Windows executables and is
nonstandard in terms non-Windows executables.  As a result, we cannot
say *anything* about your question WRT your gcc compiler producing a
.exe file.

If you list/dump/edit the .exe file, are the first three bytes the
characters "ELF"?  If so, it isn't a Windows executable, but we still
don't know much about what it *is.*  If it doesn't say "ELF", it may be
a Windows executable and is useless for your purposes, or it may be a
raw binary file, but we still don't know much about what it *is.*

3) Your description of your toolset totally inadequate.  Who made it?
Where did it come from?  How do you know it is a cross-PPC compiler?
What version of gcc is it?  What is your host? Windows? Windows+cygwin?
Linux? BSD? OSX? Solaris?

It sounds like you need to be asking questions of your toolset provider
(company if commercial), subscribe to the toolset's email list, and
RTEMS email lists.

Good luck,
gvb