[U-Boot] mpc83xx U-boot questions

Yuke Tian ytian at bnl.gov
Fri Sep 26 20:51:28 CEST 2008

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> David Hawkins wrote:
>> Hi Yuke,
>
> [snip]
>
>> You say that the development is done with RHLE5, but
>> then that a .exe is created. That seems to be a conflicting
>> statement. Perhaps you could explain ... are you running
>> the RTEMs tools under Wine??
>
> The RTEMS "quickstart" example uses an .exe extension, so it looks
> like Yuke's toolset is braindamaged.
>   <http://www.rtems.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_Start>
> Example:
>   bash-3.1$ sparc-rtems4.9-gdb `find . -name ticker.exe`
> (bleah!)
>
> The RTEMS example is running on a simulator via gdb, which is a far
> cry from running on real hardware, booting either on bare metal (very
> big ouch) or using u-boot to start it (much less ouch - I would start
> by running your RTEMS build as a u-boot "application" - that gets you
> things like fairly painless serial support).
>
> Note to Yuke: this will be a learning experience for you - please keep
> us informed so we can learn vicariously with you.  I'm not aware of
> anybody using u-boot to boot RTEMS, so you may have some useful stuff
> when you get to the end of your journey.  We will help as much as we
> can...

Thanks. It is true that RTEMS provide .exe for gdb simulation. But we do
have BSP package and to build application for real board, like this
mpc8313 board. I might need to figure out how to make better use of
U-boot. But right now, I just want to use it to load image and get it
run. The vendor already installed U-boot.  I thought U-boot is just a
bootloader. Never think  about build RTEMS as u-boot application. It
seems I misunderstood a lot. :-(