[U-Boot] JFFS2-Summary support for u-boot

Michael Lawnick nospam_lawnick at gmx.de
Mon Sep 29 13:34:02 CEST 2008

Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund <at> transmode.se> writes:

> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 08:45 +0000, Michael Lawnick wrote:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > please feel free to correct me if I tell sh**:
> > As far as I was told, bad JFFS2 boot performance of u-boot is result of not
> > supporting summary. (Because there is no JFFS2 but only JFFS support?)
>
> It is not missing SUMMARY, it is excessive scanning of empty flash
> blocks. Look at jffs2/scan.c, it only scan the first 4KB or before
> declaring the block empty.

Ok, did I get you correct:
The performance difference between u-boot and linux is based on skipping
senseless scans of empty blocks?
I've taken a little look into scan.c
The comment "The code lacks more or less any comment, and is still arcane and
difficult to read in places." doesn't make me happy.

Has anybody tried to (and succeeded in) speed up u-boot?

Michael