[U-Boot] JFFS2-Summary support for u-boot

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Mon Sep 29 16:05:07 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

> Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund <at> transmode.se> writes:
>

>> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 08:45 +0000, Michael Lawnick wrote:
>> > Hi *,
>> >
>> > please feel free to correct me if I tell sh**:
>> > As far as I was told, bad JFFS2 boot performance of u-boot is result of not
>> > supporting summary. (Because there is no JFFS2 but only JFFS support?)
>>
>> It is not missing SUMMARY, it is excessive scanning of empty flash
>> blocks. Look at jffs2/scan.c, it only scan the first 4KB or before
>> declaring the block empty.
>
> Ok, did I get you correct:
> The performance difference between u-boot and linux is based on skipping
> senseless scans of empty blocks?
> I've taken a little look into scan.c
> The comment "The code lacks more or less any comment, and is still arcane and
> difficult to read in places." doesn't make me happy.
>
> Has anybody tried to (and succeeded in) speed up u-boot?

We are currently working on such a speedup bringing U-Boot up to par
with Linux.  I am confident that we can post our results in the next
week.

Cheers
  Detlev

PS: Wow, message-mode in Emacs wants a confirmation sending an email to
    you as your address looks bogus ;)

--
Emacs is the way to purify your soul using garbage collection.