[U-Boot] Standalone Application Images support (bootm)

Rodrigo Vilar rvilarl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 17:55:56 CEST 2008

Dear "Wolfgang Denk",

> > Are "Standalone Applications" supported in the current u-boot (GIT repo)?
>
> Yes, of course.

 I am very happy to hear that. However the manual states "The bootm command
is used to start operating system images." and Standalone Applications were
supported on u-boot 1.2.0.

> > I have tried to bootm a Standalone Application image stored in flash and
> > get the messages (u-boot then crashes):
> >     Wrong Image Type for bootm command
> >     ERROR: can't get kernel image!
>
> I recommend you start reading the documentation, especally the section
> about Standalone Applications.

If you refer to chapter 5.12 I had already done so. It has been very useful
to download an run standalone applications however there is no reference on
how to do it with image files and bootm.

> > In the current one (GIT repo) there is no reference to IH_TYPE_STANDALONE
> in
> > file common/cmd_bootm.c. Should I look somewhere else?
>
> Yes. Start looking in the manual.

Thanks for your recommendation I started reading it last july. I have
successfully run it now with MPC8248 on two different cards one is COTs and
the other house made with three MPC8248 processors. I have also successfully
boot linux using the bootm command on both boards. Believe me I really
appreciate the work you are doing with u-boot, however I also think you have
overlooked my questions.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo Vilar